Monday, May 20, 2013

A Broken Ship


Three weeks ago at my support group we did some art therapy. The leader told us to draw a picture that included the ocean, a rocky cliff, a light house and a boat. This was my drawing. Once we were finished Holly (the leader) told us what each thing meant.
The lighthouse: Christ and God
The Rocky cliffs: trials
The ocean: life
The Boat: me

As you can see my boat is not doing so well. This pretty much sent me into a tail spin. The last three weeks have been really bad. When I looked at my picture I just felt so helpless and hopeless. For the past five years I feel like I have tried to many times to overcome the depression but always ended up in the same place. The irony is before I drew my picture I felt like I was doing really well. In reality I was just covering the depression and pretending it wasn't there.

When I looked at my drawing I felt like I was slapped across the face and my depression came roaring to the surface. It was the lowest I had been since the Summer/Fall of 2008 before I started taking meds. This was also one of the longest times I have had where even my faith in God was shaken. When I looked at my picture I could see the light leaving the light house but it wasn't aimed at the boat. That was how I felt in my life as well. I told Eric multiple times in the past three weeks that God must want me this way since He hasn't changed it and since He does want me this way what good does praying or showing faith do. I have a feeling this is going to be a long road back to being okay, let alone great.

5 comments:

  1. oh sweetie. I'm so sorry:(. I love your drawing, it's really insightful. I'm glad that you're seeking out the counseling that you need, but the shitty thing about depression is that it doesn't go away over night, and it's always there, lurking in the back (or front) of your mind.
    Tell your doctor how you're feeling, and make sure your dosage is right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have been off meds since last October. This is the first big break down since then. I have actually done better over all not on meds than I did on them.

      Delete
  2. Oh Kristelle. You haven't left my prayers since that night. How I wish there was something I could do to help you. You are a trooper to keep on keeping on. Please let me know if you ever think of a way I can help. Is watching Madeline on Friday too much? You will never hurt my feelings by being honest to me about yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers and your friendship. Watching Madeline on Friday is great. It helps me get out of the house and my head along with doing something for someone else.

      Delete
  3. I also wanted to tell you that I have been thinking about you a lot and you've also been in my prayers for sure!

    ReplyDelete